Monday, April 28, 2008

Iowa Day two (crit)

UPDATE on day one: i heard the wind speed was a constant 30mph, which explains the near 50mph back stretch that helped me spin out my 53x11, and the need to pedal downhill to maintain the 13 mph i had just climbed a hill at. the lesson for day one, wind SUCKS!!! when its a head wind, but ROCKS!!! when its at your back.

before i get to day two, i need to explain more about the evening of day one, that turned out to be very useful. While at dinner Donny, the head of Punk Rock Cycling, advised, Ana, Maria, Kelli, Jen, Clara, Jessi (no E), and I (yeah i was spoiled this weekend by hangout with beautiful women all weekend), about how to successfully race the crit. He told us about the course, which most of us haven't seen before, he told us how we should climb the hill and the idea gear which we should be in (it was a big gear, high speed, power climb). He explained all the things that could help us know the course the best we can, without actually riding it.

Okay back to day two. I woke up, ate, and headed to the course. I parked in the parking garage, but took my race bag with me. I ended up putting in Maria's van, I HEART THE PRC girls. After riding 3 to 5 laps with them, i watched the first couple races, including the Cat 4 women, which the PRC chicks kicked ass in. I tried to spin around the parking lot, but with so much nervous energy i had a hard time cheer and warming up. As the race before mine ended i took a lap to double check the course.

My race was the Cat 5 and the Col D race mixed into one. I lined up about 3 rows back, and we were off. It was a VERY fast start, and with a short course that isnt always good. the laps were 1km long and the race was only 10 laps long. for the first 5ish laps i stayed with a couple people, but with hills ,being the enemy of big guys, i started to slow. I ended up getting pulled on the final lap because i got lapped. O well that is life.

After a shower at the hotel and I was back to watch the rest of the PRC girls race in the W 1/2/3 race. Sydney Brown (Team Revolution) lapped the WHOLE field, and about half the field twice. Back to the hotel so Jen, who i rode/drove down with could clean up and we could check out. I must now pause and give a shout out to the Baymount inn and suites in Coralville IA for the 2pm check out they granted us. After checking out we headed back the course to watch the men's 1/2 race. The pro men made the hill that made me suffer look like pie 40 times.

5 hours later i arrived at home, hating wind, yet wanting to go back to Iowa as soon as i can find a race and visit the PRC girls. Maybe Snake Alley? I can only hope. Until then i am looking forward to the track training day at the Northbrook Velodrome. ;)

1 comment:

julie said...

congrats on a strong race weekend- keep it up!