Saturday, April 26, 2008

Iowa Day one (road race)

So after driving 5 totals hours, with 2 stops with Jen Greenburg, to get to Iowa, I found myself at the Baymount Inn and Suites in Coralville, IA. One the trip here i realized i left both my water bottles at home, and niether Jen nor I knew how to get to the course the next morning. While the water bottles are easy to figure, the idea of of having no idea how to get to the race day seemed to be an issue. Once at the hotel it dawned on me that i had a laptop and could get the directions to the course from a website. (score one the laptop)

I semi good night sleep later, i awoke to my phone alarm and the sound of winds howling outside. I "dresses" and got some breakfast before heading out with jen to the course. Upon arriving at the course, I realized the wind was 10 times worse than i thought. O well, i drove this far, so why not race. Our start was delayed about 40 mins due to a crash in the Master race that required the the closing of the race and 2 ambulances. While once we got started it was off into a 20+mph head wind. On a 4 turn course, the wind at some point has to be at your back, when it was i spun out my 53x11 gear while going 47ish mph. with that kind tale wind, it meant the head wind SUCKED!!!! at 12mph it was a LONG front straight into the wind. 2 laps later i crossed the finish line in 18 place. not bad, but no in the lead pack that dropped this big guy while riding into the wind.

I stayed at watched Jen race in the Womens open, she placed 8 with her teammate Jane placing 6. (both are cuties, i will admit) After a drive to the hotel to change and shower finally, we and her teammates from PRC and 2 girls, Clara and Jessi, headed out to Atlas to get some dinner. After eating some good food, i, clara, and jessi headed back to the hotel to type race reports and head to bed. While jen and her teammates headed out to do there thing.

Am now i am going to play a game of chess and and go to sleep. Stay tuned tomorrow for for Day 2, a crit.

1 comment:

julie said...

wow, awesome job! i think that's a great finish, AND you stuck it out in that effing wind. congrats!